University Village, Nnamdi Azikiwe Expressway, Plot 91, Cadastral Zone, Jabi, Abuja
Faculty of Agricultural Sciences, Dept. of Agricultural Economics and Extension
PoP Exam Question October/November 2019
COURSE CODE: MPA870
COURSE TITLE: LOCAL GOVERNMENT ADMINISTRATION CREDIT UNITS: 2
INSTRUCTION: 1. Indicate your Matriculation Number clearly
2. Attempt question one (1) and any other two (2) questions – three questions in all.
3. Question one (1) is compulsory and carries 30 marks, while the other questions carry 20 marks each.
4. Present all your points in coherent and orderly Manner TIME ALLOWED: 2Hours
1. a) The 1999 Constitution guarantees the legal existence of Local government as a tier of Government. Conceptualize the term “Local Government”.
b) What do you understand by mandatory and concurrent functions of Local government in Nigeria? Explain why these functions are classified as such.
c) Highlight the four qualities and four objectives of Local Government that enjoy devolution of powers. .
d) List eight and discuss any two sources of Local Government revenue in Nigeria.
[Compulsory, 30 marks]
2. a) There exist horizontal and vertical intergovernmental relationships among the tiers of government. Elucidate.
b) What are the benefits derivable from these relationships?
c) Justify the state (central) control of Local overnment as specified by Barber (1972). [20 marks]
3. a) On what basis is a Head of Department appointed and promoted in Nigerian Local Government?
b) Examine types of City Executives’ government in the United States.
4. a) Classify the major units of Local Government in the United States and state three functions performed by County Executives.
b) Elaborate on the democratic nature American Local Government. [20 marks]
5. a) The idea of the single tier structure is that no unit created under the basic Local Government structure is recognized legally. Justify this assertion with the basic features of the single tier structure of Local Government in Nigeria as defined by the 1976 Reform.
b) Name six Departments found in the present Nigeria Local government. Explain at least two of their functions each. [20 marks]
Teststreams is a global focused test-prep company. Information on our study packs are based on our in-depth research, feedback from previous test candidates and sometimes from official/privileged test resources made available by examination bodies and testing agencies.